Get out of trouble and get back to life. We defend the rights and liberties of good people who are accused of bad things.
Everyone is innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. Everyone has the right to a lawyer and a fair trial. These are basic premises of the American criminal justice system and the ideal for striving for. Unfortunately, the “court” of public opinion can rush to judgment in some cases, failing to distinguish between rightful horror at the crime and the reality that the wrong person may have been arrested. In cases like these, a Des Moines sex crimes lawyer is more important than ever to ensure that the defendant gets both a fair trial and the vigorous legal defense that a fair trial depends upon.
Clark & Sears Law was founded to give every defendant the vigorous legal advocacy that our system of justice depends upon. From our Des Moines office, we serve all of Polk County and across Story, Boone, Warren, & Dallas Counties.
What is the Legal Definition Of a Sex Crime in Iowa?
In Iowa, a sex crime is any act or behavior classified as criminal involving sexual activity or contact. The legal definition of a sex crime can be found in the Iowa Code Section 709, which summarizes various criminal offenses related to sexual conduct. This includes offenses such as rape, sexual abuse, incest, statutory rape, prostitution, and indecent exposure. In general, any act deemed to be an invasion of someone's privacy or that forces someone to participate in an unwanted sexual encounter is regarded as a sex crime.
Iowa penalizes sex crimes based on the circumstances surrounding the offense and its nature. You should consult our experienced criminal defense attorney at Clark & Sears Law if you have been accused of a sex crime in Polk County.
Not only can you tell that they really care for their clients but also are very understanding & will work with you to set up a payment plan.- Miguel
Sexual assault allegations in Iowa carry severe legal ramifications, with potential life-altering consequences upon conviction, including:
- Third-degree sexual assault: Up to 10 years of imprisonment and fines as high as $100,000.
- Sexual assault in the second degree: A 25-year prison sentence.
- First-degree sexual assault: Lifetime behind bars.
What all of this means is that everything in a sexual assault case is essential. The specific charges brought will determine the sentencing parameters outlined above. Police and prosecutors may use the threat of more severe charges to try and get a defendant to plead out to a lower charge. A defendant feels understandable fear and will be best served by calling their Des Moines sex crimes lawyer and allowing the attorney to lead any plea discussions.
If, after the arraignment, the case goes to trial, a reliable defense has to be built on detail-oriented investigative work, strong cross-examination of witnesses, and an astute understanding of jury dynamics. In the event of a guilty verdict, the defense lawyer can still work through the pre-sentencing investigation to secure a fair sentence, allowing the defendant to rebuild their life after their sentence.
A harsh reality is that even sexual assault charges–to say nothing of a guilty plea or conviction–can leave a defendant branded a “rapist” by the community around them. Perhaps nothing underscores that more than the Sex Offender Registry.
Iowa Sex Offender Registry
Those convicted of sex crimes have to register with the state of Iowa. The registry is then visible to the public even if someone was unjustly convicted or coerced into a confession. Even if someone has since reformed their life, the stigma can follow them around, and even after release from prison, there can be consequences that include being unable to be around one’s children without supervision.
A Des Moines sex crimes lawyer can work with someone on the possibility of sex offender registry modification. A defendant can get their name off this list and begin restoring their reputation. Some conditions must be met; obtaining modification can involve jumping through legal hoops. But doing that work is why lawyers are here; we can help.
Protect Your Rights With an Experienced Sex Crimes Lawyer
At Clark & Sears Law, our experienced sex crimes lawyers understand the complexities of these cases and are dedicated to protecting your rights throughout the legal process. Here's why experienced legal representation is crucial in sex crime cases:
- In-depth knowledge of sex crime laws: Our lawyers deeply understand Iowa's sex crime laws and stay updated with any changes or amendments. This knowledge allows us to build a strong defense strategy tailored to the specific details of your case.
- Investigation and evidence gathering: We have the resources and expertise to conduct thorough investigations and gather crucial evidence to challenge the prosecution's case. This includes examining witness statements, analyzing forensic evidence, and uncovering any inconsistencies or flaws in the allegations against you.
- Negotiating plea bargains: If a trial is not in your best interest, our lawyers can skillfully negotiate with the prosecution to secure a favorable plea bargain. This may involve reduced charges, minimized penalties, or alternative sentencing options.
- Defending your rights in court: Should your case proceed to trial, our experienced lawyers will vigorously advocate for your rights. We will challenge the prosecution's evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and present a compelling defense strategy to secure an acquittal.
- Protecting your reputation: Being accused of a sex crime can devastate your personal and professional life. Our lawyers understand the importance of safeguarding your reputation and will work tirelessly to minimize the impact of these accusations on your future.
If you or a loved one is facing allegations of a sex crime in Iowa, do not hesitate to contact our experienced sex crimes lawyer at Clark & Sears Law. We offer compassionate and confidential legal representation, ensuring that your rights are protected every step of the way.
Contact Our Des Moines Sex Crimes Attorney Today
Clark & Sears Law believe that second chances are for everyone. So are fair trials and the right to a presumption of innocence. We don’t shy away from handling difficult sex crimes cases, and we give our clients the strong representation they need. From our Des Moines office, we serve all of Polk County, along with Story, Boone, Warren, & Dallas Counties.
Contact Clark & Sears Law today to schedule a consultation with our sex crimes lawyer in Des Moines!